Jump to main content

What do I need to do if I want to import a car or have a personal vehicle shipped back to the United States?

For information concerning importing a vehicle, engine or engine-driven equipment into the United States, review the material on the EPA Web site for imports of vehicles, engines and equipment at the following address:   http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/index.htm

Additionally, the International Import and Export Web site has information about import/export requirements for vehicles, engines, and fuels and fuel additives, as well as chemical substances, hazardous wastes, plumbing products, and scrap metals: http://www.epa.gov/compliance/international/importexport.html

If you need additional information about vehicle and engine imports, you can contact the EPA Imports Team at (734) 214-4100, 734-214-IMPO (4676) (fax), or Imports@epa.gov. You may also use their webform: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/contactus.htm

There is also a Web site maintained by the U.S. Customs Service that has information on importing a vehicle. It is located at: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/importing_car.xml

Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 23002-21674
  • Date Created: 06:21:2004
  • Last Modified Since: 02:12:2015
  • Viewed: 3453

Jump to main content.