Jump to main content

Where can I find information on EPA approved gas cans or fuel containers?

“The EPA is establishing standards that will limit hydrocarbon emissions that evaporate from or permeate through portable fuel containers such as gas cans…. Starting with containers manufactured in 2009, the standard limits evaporation and permeation emissions from these containers to 0.3 grams of hydrocarbons per gallon per day.”  Found in the regulatory announcement, Control of Hazardous Air Pollutants from Mobile Sources: Final Rule to Reduce Mobile Source Air Toxics: http://www.epa.gov/OMS/regs/toxics/420f07017.pdf (PDF, 5 pp, 143K, EPA420-F-07-017, February 2007)

You can learn more about portable fuel containers at the following Web site: http://bordercenter.org/chem/portablefuel.cfm Exit EPA Disclaimer

The full text of the portable fuel container regulations are found in 40 CFR 59.600 through 40 CFR 59.699.

You may also be interested in this document which examines design factors that may contribute to portable fuel can emissions: Estimating Emissions Associated with Portable Fuel Containers (PFCs): http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=EPA-HQ-OAR-2005-0036-1133 (PDF, 30 pp, 628K, EPA420-R-07-001, February 2007) 

If you have further comments or questions, please contact EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality directly at: http://epa.gov/otaq/oms-cmt.htm


External Links Disclaimer: Please be aware that links to non-EPA sites do not imply any official EPA endorsement. Furthermore, EPA does not accept any responsibility for the opinions, ideas, data or products presented at those locations, or guarantee the validity of the information provided. EPA does not guarantee the suitability of the information for any specific purpose.

Rating:Rating of 0 Stars1 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 23002-32525
  • Date Created: 07:11:2011
  • Last Modified Since: 05:27:2015
  • Viewed: 3578

Jump to main content.