Jump to main content

How do I get trained and certified?

EPA does not administer air conditioning or refrigerant technician certification tests. On EPA’s Ozone Layer Protection web site, you can find a list of approved programs which offer testing services.

Section 608 of the Clean Air Act covers stationary air conditioning and refrigeration certification.

Section 608 Technician Certification Programs http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/608/technicians/608certs.html

Overview of Issues on EPA Certification Test (Section 608) http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/608/technicians/certoutl.html

Section 609 covers to motor vehicle air conditioning and refrigeration (MVACs) certification.

Section 609 Technician Training and Certification Programs http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/609/technicians/609certs.html

Need more help? Please contact EPA's Stratospheric Ozone Hotline at 1-800-296-1996 or (202) 343-9210. You can also email questions to spdcomment@epa.gov or submit comments online at: http://www.epa.gov/ozone/comments.htm

For Lead Renovation Professionals:

Are you a contractor?  Find information about training and certification at


We also suggest:

EPA Small Entity Compliance Guide to Renovate Right


Looking for an accredited training program?  Please see:


For lead abatement professionals (abatement, inspection, risk assessment), please see:


Questions?  Contact the National Lead Information Center to speak with an information specialist.

National Lead Information Center: http://www2.epa.gov/lead/forms/lead-hotline-national-lead-information-center 

You can also find contact information for EPA’s Headquarters and Regional lead program offices at http://www2.epa.gov/lead/forms/contact-us

For Asbestos Control Professionals:

Federal law requires asbestos control professionals to take training on how to properly inspect for the presence of asbestos and to repair and remove it. Training also is required to develop asbestos management plans for schools and to manage and design asbestos abatement projects. States offer these training courses, which must meet EPA guidelines. Find courses offered by each state: http://www2.epa.gov/asbestos/asbestos-professionals#howto

In addition to this initial training, asbestos control professionals must take annual refresher training in order to maintain their accreditation status.

EPA ID Numbers

If you are looking for information on EPA ID numbers, please see the following FAQ:

How do I get an EPA ID Number?: http://publicaccess.supportportal.com/ics/support/kbanswer.asp?deptID=23012&task=knowledge&questionID=16799


Rating:Rating of 3.5 Stars3 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 23002-32746
  • Date Created: 10:05:2011
  • Last Modified Since: 04:29:2015
  • Viewed: 13438

Jump to main content.