Where can I find more information on endangered species?
A brief introduction to the Endangered Species Act (ESA) is available from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (FWS) publication "ESA Basics : 40 Years of Conserving Endangered Species" http://www.fws.gov/endangered/esa-library/pdf/ESA_basics.pdf. More detailed information, including species currently or previously listed as endangered, is available from the FWS and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS).
- FWS: Endangered Species Program [http://www.fws.gov/endangered/]
- NMFS: Endangered Species Act [http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/laws/esa/]
Because the ESA requires federal agencies to ensure that actions they authorize, fund, or carry out do not "adversely impact" any listed species, or "destroy or adversely modify" any critical habitat for that species, EPA helps administer the ESA through its Endangered Species Protection Program [http://www.epa.gov/espp].
Other government agencies, including the Government Accountability Office (GAO) and Congressional Research Service (CRS), have published reports that describe the ESA and issues related to its administration. These include:
- "The Endangered Species Act (ESA) in the 111th Congress: Conflicting Values and Different Choices" [CRS, 2009. http://crs.ncseonline.org/NLE/CRSreports/10Oct/R40185.pdf
- "Endangered Species Act: Many GAO Recommendations Have Been Implemented, but Some Issues Remain Unresolved" [GAO, 2008. http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09225r.pdf]
- "U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service: Endangered Species Act Decision Making" [GAO, 2008. http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d08688t.pdf]
- "The Endangered Species Act and 'Sound Science'" [CRS, 2007. http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL32992.pdf]
- "The Endangered Species Act: A Primer" [CRS, 2005. http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metacrs9678/m1/1/high_res_d/]
- About EPA
- Chemicals and Toxics
- Climate Change
- Data, Methods, and Models
- Emergencies and Natural Disasters
- Greener Living
- Health and Safety
- Land and Cleanup
- Laws and Regulations
- Topic #: 23002-24203
- Date Created: 11/08/2004
- Last Modified Since: 01/07/2015
- Viewed: 2434