Jump to main content

Does EPA handle all environmental concerns?

No, some issues are primarily concerns of other federal, tribal, state, or local agencies. Many environmental programs have been delegated to the states and they have primary responsibility for them. Often, it is most appropriate to contact your local city, county, or state environmental agency (or health department) rather than EPA.

For a Directory of State Departments of Environmental Protection please view this URL: http://www2.epa.gov/home/state-and-territorial-environmental-agencies

You can also contact your county with any local concerns you may have. Please use this map to locate your county offices: http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. [moved up from the bottom]

Information on issues that are delegated to the EPA may be found at the following pages:

Learn the Issues: http://www2.epa.gov/learn-issues

Laws and Regulations: http://www2.epa.gov/laws-regulations 

Examples of different situations that do not fall under EPA jurisdiction, and who to contact include:

Workplace Concerns:

Problems with the environment inside the workplace, such as presence or handling of chemicals or noxious fumes, are under the jurisdiction of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), an arm of the U.S. Department of Labor.

Occupational Safety and Health Administration home page, http://www.osha.gov/
Call OSHA toll-free: 1-800-321-OSHA (6742), TTY 1-877-889-5627

Wildlife Concerns:

Many wildlife concerns are connected with destruction of wetlands. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers determines whether an area is a wetland and issues permits for use of such an area. The permit applications are reviewed by the EPA under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act. Therefore, initial contact should be made with your nearest Army Corps of Engineers' office. To get the phone number of your local district office, phone 1-800-832-7828 or visit their website.

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers: http://www.usace.army.mil/
Call the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers:

You may also visit the EPA Wetlands Oceans and Watersheds web area for more information about what defines wetlands.
Wetlands Oceans and Watersheds Web area,

The Endangered Species Act is primarily managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS). EPA's concern with this act is assuring that the use of pesticides does not endanger these species.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service home page: http://www.fws.gov/
Call the FWS toll-free: 1
800344WILD (9453)

For concerns about wildlife caused by development and other human encroachment such as foxes, birds, prairie dogs, rabbits, etc., please contact your state or local wildlife office.

Food Safety:

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and EPA have a cooperative arrangement with regard to the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act. FDA is responsible for the safety of food and any substance that is applied to the human body. EPA is responsible for the safe use of pesticides in controlling insects, rodents, fungus, and sanitizers that are used on surfaces.
[Licensing of commercial and private pesticide applicators may be handled by state Departments of Agriculture or EPA. You would need to contact your
Regional EPA Office for more information.]

Summary of the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act:

Food and Drug Administration home page: http://www.fda.gov/
Call the FDA toll-free: 1-888-INFO-FDA (1-888-463-6332)

Regional EPA Offices:

Product Safety:

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is the agency that deals with the safety of consumer products (such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, etc.). They have information on formaldehyde in mobile homes, fiberglass in insulation and other building materials, the safety of all-terrain vehicles, and equipment used for children's safety. This commission is arm of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Consumer Product Safety Commission, http://www.cpsc.gov/
Call CPSC toll-free: 1-800-638-2772,
TTY (301) 595-7054

Gardening or Farming:

Information on gardening or farming in your area is best obtained from your local Agricultural Extension office, which may be listed in your local telephone directory under your county offices or your state university listing.

Local Landfills:

For questions about your local landfill you should contact your county environmental agency.

Noise Pollution:

EPA no longer regulates most types of noise pollution. You should consult with your local governmental (e.g., city and county) authorities to see if there are local or state laws that might apply to your situation. View more information about resources on noise pollution in the following frequent question:

Does the EPA regulate noise? Where are there resources about noise pollution?

Common local environmental concerns.

Who should I contact if I have a complaint about the burning of trash by my neighbors?

I have a complaint about dust from dirt roads in my area. What can I do?

Where can I report a complaint against a gas station?

What can I do about odors from nearby farms and other operations?

Where can I get information about mold?

External Links Disclaimer: Please be aware that links to non-EPA sites do not imply any official EPA endorsement. Furthermore, EPA does not accept any responsibility for the opinions, ideas, data or products presented at those locations, or guarantee the validity of the information provided. EPA does not guarantee the suitability of the information for any specific purpose.


Rating:Rating of 2.5 Stars70 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 23002-15450
  • Date Created: 11:22:2004
  • Last Modified Since: 08:06:2015
  • Viewed: 99714

Jump to main content.