Jump to main content

Does EPA handle all environmental concerns?

No, some issues are primarily concerns of other federal, tribal, state or local agencies. EPA also works in partnership with state environmental agencies. Many environmental programs have been delegated to the states and they have primary responsibility for them. Often, it is most appropriate to contact your local (city or county) or state environmental or health agency rather than EPA.

Examples of different situations and who to call include:

The Endangered Species Act is primarily managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. EPA's concern with this act is assuring that the use of pesticides does not endanger these species.

Many wildlife concerns are connected with destruction of wetlands. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers determines whether an area is a wetland and issues permits for use of such an area. The permit applications are reviewed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act. Therefore, initial contact should be made with your nearest Army Corps of Engineers' office. To get the phone number of your local district office, phone 1-800-832-7828 or visit their website at the above link. [You may also visit the Wetlands Oceans and Watersheds Web area  for more information about what defines wetlands.]

For concerns about wildlife such as foxes, birds, prairie dogs, rabbits, etc. that are caused by development and other human encroachment, contact your state or local wildlife office.

Problems with the environment inside the workplace, such as presence or handling of chemicals or noxious fumes, are under the jurisdiction of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, an arm of the U.S. Department of Labor.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission  is the office that deals with the safety of products used in daily life. They have information on formaldehyde in mobile homes, fiberglass in insulation and other building materials, the safety of all terrain vehicles, and equipment used for children's safety. The toll free phone number is 1-800-638-2772. This commission is arm of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

The Food and Drug Administration and EPA have a cooperative arrangement with regard to the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act. FDA is responsible for the safety of food and any substance that is applied to the human body. EPA is responsible for the safe use of pesticides in controlling insects, rodents, fungus, and sanitizers that are used on surfaces. [Licensing of commercial and private pesticide applicators may be handled by state Departments of Agriculture or EPA.  You would need to contact your Regional EPA Office  for more information.]

Information on gardening or farming in your area is best obtained from your local Agricultural Extension office, which can be listed in your local telephone directory under your county offices or your state university listing.

Noise complaints.  EPA no longer regulates most types of noise pollution.  You should consult with your local governmental (e.g., city and county) authorities to see if there are local or state laws that might apply to your situation.  View more information about resources on noise pollution in the following Frequently Asked Question:

Title: Does the EPA regulate noise?  Where are there resources about noise pollution?
URL: http://publicaccess.supportportal.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=23012&task=knowledge&questionID=15642

Dust on Roads is a local issue. You should contact the local environmental or health agency.

Questions about your local landfill. You should contact your county environmental agency.

Links referred to above:
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, http://www.fws.gov/
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, http://www.usace.army.mil/
Wetlands Oceans and Watersheds Web area, http://www.epa.gov/owow/wetlands/what/definitions.html
Occupational Safety and Health Administration, http://www.osha.gov/
Consumer Product Safety Commission, http://www.cpsc.gov/
Food and Drug Administration, http://www.fda.gov/
Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act, http://www2.epa.gov/laws-regulations/summary-federal-insecticide-fungicide-and-rodenticide-act
Regional EPA Office, http://www.epa.gov/epahome/regions.htm

Rating:Rating of 4 Stars15 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 23002-15450
  • Date Created: 11/22/2004
  • Last Modified Since: 2/5/2014
  • Viewed: 44896

Jump to main content.