Jump to main content

How do I get an EPA ID number?

There are several different types of EPA ID numbers. Some ID numbers are issued when a permit is granted and many EPA permit programs are administered at the state level. In many cases they are the first point of contact for obtaining permits and ID numbers.

You can locate the various state agencies in the Directory of State Environmental Agencies at: http://www2.epa.gov/home/state-and-territorial-environmental-agencies 

You may also want to inquire with your state agency about any state permits, regulations, etc. that may pertain to your business or activities.

For information about air permits, please see EPA's Air Permits: Basic Facts Web page, http://www.epa.gov/oar/oaqps/permits/.

You may also want to view the Frequently Asked Questions About Air Permits, at http://www.epa.gov/region09/air/permit/pmfaq.html.

Wastewater discharge permits are handled under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES). The NPDES permit program "controls water pollution by regulating point sources that discharge pollutants into waters of the United States. Point sources are discrete conveyances such as pipes or man-made ditches. Individual homes that are connected to a municipal system, use a septic system, or do not have a surface discharge do not need an NPDES permit; however, industrial, municipal, and other facilities must obtain permits if their discharges go directly to surface waters. In most cases, the NPDES permit program is administered by authorized states: http://water.epa.gov/polwaste/npdes/.

This information is taken from the NPDES Program home page at http://cfpub.epa.gov/npdes/index.cfm.

This section of this website contains basic information on the major features and elements of the NPDES permit program: http://water.epa.gov/polwaste/npdes/basics/index.cfm.

Hazardous Waste

All persons who generate, transport, recycle, treat, store, or dispose of hazardous waste are required to notify EPA of their hazardous waste activities. EPA ID numbers are obtained by filing EPA Form 8700-12, Notification of Regulated Waste Activity, available here: http://www.epa.gov/epawaste/inforesources/data/form8700/8700-12.pdf (PDF, 46 pp, 240K, About PDF) with the appropriate EPA Regional (http://www.epa.gov/epawaste/wyl/regional.htm)   or authorized state RCRA office (http://www.epa.gov/epawaste/wyl/stateprograms.htm)  (Sections 262.12, 263.12, and 264.11).

This information is available at the Office of Waste's FAQ site: http://waste.supportportal.com/

EPA issues Pesticide-Producing Establishment numbers for facilities where pesticides or pesticide devices are produced. These facilities include foreign establishments that import pesticides and/or devices to the United States.

The EPA Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance (OECA) has responsibility for this regulatory activity. Go to the Compliance Monitoring: Pesticide Establishment Registration and Reporting site (http://www.epa.gov/compliance/monitoring/programs/fifra/establishments.html) for reporting forms and additional information.

For information on registering pesticide products, please see the following FAQs: 

Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs)
Companies or people who have PCB transformers must register them with the EPA using form 7720-12, PCB Transformer Registration (http://www.epa.gov/wastes/hazard/tsd/pcbs/pdf/772012.pdf) (PDF, 1 pp, 13.K, About PDF). Any company or person conducting business involving the disposal of PCBs or conducting research and development involving PCBs must notify the EPA using form 7710-53, Notification of PCB Activity (http://www.epa.gov/wastes/hazard/tsd/pcbs/pdf/771053.pdf) (PDF, 1 pp, 14.5K, About PDF) and receive an ID number.

For more information on registering PCB activity, please see the PCBs home page: http://www.epa.gov/epawaste/hazard/tsd/pcbs/index.htm

Looking for information about certification? Please see the following FAQ: How do I get Certified? : http://publicaccess.supportportal.com/ics/support/kbanswer.asp?deptID=23012&task=knowledge&questionID=32746

Rating:Rating of 0.5 Stars12 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 23002-16799
  • Date Created: 09:08:2005
  • Last Modified Since: 08:06:2015
  • Viewed: 28760

Jump to main content.