Jump to main content

How do I get certified as an air conditioning or heating and cooling technician?

EPA does not administer air conditioning or refrigerant technician certification tests. On EPA’s Ozone Layer Depletion web site, you can find a list of approved programs which offer testing services.  

Section 608 of the Clean Air Act covers stationary air conditioning and refrigeration certification.  

Section 608 Technician Certification Programs

Overview of Issues on EPA Certification Test (Section 608)

Section 609 covers to motor vehicle air conditioning and refrigeration (MVACs) certification.

Section 609 Technician Training and Certification Programs

Need more help?  Please contact EPA's Stratospheric Ozone Hotline at 1-800-296-1996 or (202) 343-9210.  You can also email questions to spdcomment@epa.gov or submit comments online at:

Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 23002-16800
  • Date Created: 8/18/2004
  • Last Modified Since: 1/22/2014
  • Viewed: 2411

Jump to main content.