What are the requirements for paint booths?
There are many factors which affect the potential requirements for a paint booth.
If this is an individual or hobbyist, and the painting is not business-related, your state environmental agency or local authorities may be able to assist you more directly. Many issues are regulated at the state and local levels, and contacting your state or county directly may be the best action.
A directory of State Environmental Agencies is provided at http://www.epa.gov/epahome/state.htm.
For additional information, including other agencies’ regulations and best practice guides, you may wish to view the following websites:
- Best Practice for Automotive Refinishers When Spray Painting: http://www.epa.gov/dfe/pubs/auto/trainers/spraypaintcheck.htm
- Fed Center, Paint Booths: http://www.fedcenter.gov/assistance/facilitytour/vehicle/paintbooths/
- Coordinating Committee for Automotive Repairs: Green Link Virtual Spray Booth: http://ccar-greenlink.org/welcome-to-the-ccar-greenlink-virtual-shops/virtual-spray-booth/
If the activity is business-related, the business may be covered under the following:
Paint Stripping and Miscellaneous Surface Coating Operations:
http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/area/paint_stripb.pdf (PDF, 2pp, 100K, About PDF)
More information on this topic is provided at http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/area/arearules.html.
If you believe a violation of federal environmental law is occurring, please see this FAQ for information on reporting a violation: How do I report a violation of environmental regulations? http://publicaccess.supportportal.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=23012&task=knowledge&questionID=16957
External Links Disclaimer: Please be aware that links to non-EPA sites do not imply any official EPA endorsement. Furthermore, EPA does not accept any responsibility for the opinions, ideas, data or products presented at those locations, or guarantee the validity of the information provided. EPA does not guarantee the suitability of the information for any specific purpose.
- About EPA
- Chemicals and Toxics
- Climate Change
- Data, Methods, and Models
- Emergencies and Natural Disasters
- Greener Living
- Health and Safety
- Land and Cleanup
- Laws and Regulations
- Topic #: 23002-21415
- Date Created: 4/7/2009
- Last Modified Since: 3/13/2015
- Viewed: 6748