Jump to main content

What can be done about my neighbor's leaking septic tank?

States, tribes and local governments are responsible for regulating individual septic (onsite) systems. EPA provides guidance and technical assistance to help develop and enhance septic (onsite) programs.

We recommend you contact the EPA regional and state contacts listed at the following site: 

General information on septic systems may be found through the Office of Water: http://water.epa.gov/infrastructure/septic/

You may also want to view the A Homeowner's Guide to Septic Systems:

There may be a listing for your state's health agency on the contact pages listed above.  We also recommend you contact this agency.  You can also use this CDC directory to find your state health agency: 

If you have concerns about drinking water, please contact the Office of Ground Water and Drinking Water directly:

Office of Ground Water and Drinking Water (4601)
Ariel Rios Building
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20460-0003
Phone:  202-564-3750
Fax:  202-564-3753
Frequently Asked Questions Support Portal:

Rating:Rating of 0 Stars1 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 23002-21503
  • Date Created: 06:13:2008
  • Last Modified Since: 02:12:2015
  • Viewed: 4062

Jump to main content.