Jump to main content

Can non-citizens work for EPA?

Federal agencies may only employ United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island) in the competitive service. However, Federal agencies may request OPM approval to appoint a non-citizen, if no qualified U.S. citizens are available.

An agency may hire a qualified non-citizen into the Excepted Service (https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Excepted_Service) or Senior Executive Service (https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Senior_Executives), if it is permitted to do so by the annual Appropriations Act and the immigration law and the agency’s specific laws and internal policies.

You may also be interested in information from the U.S. Office of Personnel Management:

Must students be U.S. citizens at the time they are appointed?: http://www.opm.gov/faqs/QA.aspx?fid=de14aff4-4f77-4e17-afaa-fa109430fc7b&pid=58d92027-b718-429d-94d1-5f1e3dc6a52c

You may also find an answer or submit a question online at the US Office of Personnel Management: http://www.opm.gov/faqs/SubmitQuestion.aspx

Rating:Rating of 0 Stars1 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 23002-32247
  • Date Created: 02:07:2011
  • Last Modified Since: 06:15:2015
  • Viewed: 2919

Jump to main content.